For the students by the students

Parcells Post

Fidget Spinners

Katherine Justice, author

Fidget spinners are the new trend…well, not at Parcells…anymore. Fidget spinners are little objects that everyone has that you spin in your hand. To be completely honest with you, I don’t think there is any reason to ban them from Parcells. They don’t make noise, plus they keep kids entertained without distracting them, so I don’t exactly understand the problem with them being in school. They were made to be kind of like a stress ball to play with for kids with anxiety or ADHD who need help focusing and more. I have one, but I don’t need it like many others that have it for real valid reasons. I understand that teachers don’t want kids to get distracted in class, but I believe instead of banning them, it would be better to say they have to be out of sight and out of mind, but we can keep them at school. Students would always get them taken away because they had them out or they were selling them and passing them out to other people in the middle of class and I get why that is an issue.

I understand that some teachers don’t want them in their classrooms, but I personally think it is really unnecessary to ban them from the school when teachers that didn’t like them could have them banned from certain classrooms only. I feel that it is also unnecessary to make kids bring in a doctor’s note to even have them in the building. The school is making this a way bigger deal than it needs to be and I think that they need to realize that.

If only some teachers ban them from certain classrooms, that is understandable. I think the fact that we can’t even bring them to school is not a good call. I don’t have a condition where I need it, but it does help me focus in class when we are listening and not doing work. Spinners help kids focus in class and I don’t know why the school wouldn’t want kids to listen in class better than they do now. I am not saying that they are a need, but I think that they are a want for most kids. Some spinners that are custom made can range from $130 all the way up to $800! Would you want your $800 fidget spinner taken away at school? Well, that shouldn’t be an issue, but it is. Most of them make no noise unless they are really cheap. I would understand if they said that there could be no more noisy ones, but the whole thing just makes kids mad and there is no reason for it to happen.