For the students by the students

Parcells Post

Tim Burton Biography

Daisy Czochara, Diversity Director

I feel like no matter where or how you grew up, you probably grew up watching at least one of Tim Burton’s movies. A classic that most everyone has seen is The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), which is one of his more known and liked animations. Timothy Walter Burton was born and raised in Burbank, California by Jean and William Burton. He spent most of his childhood a secluded recluse, drawing cartoons and watching old movies. After high school, Burton went to California Institute of Arts and one of his first jobs was an animator at Disney.
In 1982, Burton started working on his first film called Vincent. Vincent was a boy with an ordinary life and an extraordinary obsession with actor Vincent Price, who actually narrates the movie. This short film is 6 minutes long and can be found on YouTube for free. Burton’s latest work was Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016) which he directed.
Some of my favorite Tim Burton films are Coraline (2009), Corpse Bride (2005), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), and Big Eyes (2014). Most of his old works were the peak of his creativity to me. I’ve been watching Coraline since I was a young girl; it is my all time favorite movie and I’ve probably (no joke) watched it 200 times.
Danny Elfman is a composer, singer, songwriter, record producer, trombone, guitar, percussion, vocals, piano, and keyboard player. Elfman composed the songs for Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Burton and Elfman have worked together for 30 years. They’ve worked on 16 films together. “I went from the comedy guy (‘Pee-wee’) to the oddball quirky guy (‘Beetlejuice’) to the big dark film guy (‘Batman’) to the melodic romantic guy (‘Scissorhands’).” Elfman says.
Be careful who you make fun of in school; they may be weird, but they might be the next Tim Burton.